| Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute |
Director: Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System
Summary The Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS) is seeking a creative and entrepreneurial Director to lead the collaborative and chart a path for a sustainable future. CeNCOOS (www.cencoos.org) is one of three west coast, and 11 national, ocean observing collaborations (“Regional Associations”) established under the US Integrated Ocean Observing Systems (U.S. IOOS®) and operating with support from NOAA’s IOOS Office. The collaborative provides sustained and coordinated measurements, model nowcasts and forecasts, and integrated products to inform decisions about our regional ocean.
Position Overview The Director reports to the CeNCOOS Governing Council and its Executive Committee, and provides progressive leadership and management to a staff of three professionals. Funding for the position is dependent on individual performance, annual approval of a federal budget for Regional Associations within the U.S. IOOS, and successful fundraising from State, Federal and Private sources.
The CeNCOOS program office is hosted by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) (www.mbari.org) located in Moss Landing, California, and the Director is an employee of MBARI. Annual reviews are conducted by the host institution with input from the CeNCOOS Governing Council. Salary will be commensurate with experience. MBARI offers a generous benefits package.
Leadership and management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, integrity and transparency.
- Work with the Governing Council to support strategic and financial decisions.
- Provide organizational leadership to expand operational capacity and capabilities.
Fundraising and development
- Develop and maintain strategic and business plans to advance and expand sustainable programmatic funding.
- Facilitate expansion of member collaboration opportunities.
- Deploy leadership skills to engage public and private entities as financial partners in CeNCOOS development and operations.
Partnerships and communications
- Deepen existing partnerships and cultivate new partnerships with state and federal decision-makers, scientific community, and stakeholders.
Application Process: Interested individuals should submit an application package consisting of 1) cover letter; 2) a two-page (maximum) statement of qualifications, and 3) resume or CV. Submit your application package by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to address below, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
Address your cover letter to: MBARI, Human Resources Job Code: CeNCOOS-Director 7700 Sandholdt Road Moss Landing, CA 95039.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
EOE MBARI Welcomes Diversity